Mississippi Voluntary Premises ID System


Click for MBAH Premises Identification Voluntary Entry Form


Health issues, natural disasters, and theft are major concerns when it comes to protecting your animals. When a disease outbreak or natural disaster occurs, it is critical to be able to rapidly respond in order to protect your farm and animal agriculture as a whole.

Pre-identifying where geographically (the premises) animals are located when disease or disaster events occur can be instrumental in safeguarding the health and safety of your livestock, poultry, and/or horses.  Premises registration helps producers and animal health officials respond rapidly to animal disease events and natural disasters in the United States (US). Through premises registration sick or injured animals may be “traced” or located. Traceability does not prevent disease, but knowing where diseased and at-risk animals are, where they have been, and when, is indispensable for stopping or controlling the disease and the impacts to individual farms and to animal agriculture as a whole.  Premises Registration is the backbone of the US Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) system.

Obtaining a free Premises Registration Number (PIN) is the crucial first step. Choosing to register your premises puts you at the forefront of controlling and preventing the spread of diseases that could possibly affect your animals.

What Is a Premises?

A premises is any unique physical location associated with animal agriculture where animals are housed, maintained and/or interact with other animals.

What is premises registration and why is it important?

Premises registration is a way to locate where livestock or animals are kept or congregated. Premises are listed in a computerized database with information about what species of animals are kept at any location. Each premises is assigned a number that remains with the location.

Premises registration allows for much faster traces when there is an outbreak of an animal disease or an animal-borne human disease. If we know where susceptible animals are located, we can control the disease more quickly. Premises registration is not individual animal identification.  However, premises registration is required as part of the individual animal identification program.

What Is The Mississippi Voluntary Premises Identification Number System (PIN)?

The Mississippi Board of Animal Health (MBAH) has a voluntary premises identification numbering (PIN) system. Registration of Premises is necessary to purchase official (USDA) radio frequency identification devices (RFID), also known as electronic ear tags. Under federal law a Premises Identification Number must be set up before tags are able to be assigned and distributed for animals at that location. Premises ID Numbers are a combination of letters and numbers and contain seven characters.  Ex: 00AB1C2

What are the benefits for producers to participate in the premises ID program?

Registration provides MBAH essential contact information (name, phone number, 911 address) for livestock owners, and can be used by MBAH in an animal health emergency to speed notification and location of the farm. Faster notification is essential to the rapid containment and control of disease. That translates into faster eradication and recovery from a potential economic disaster.

What information will be collected in the database?

The information needed for registering a premises is minimal:  owner name, business name, alternate contact person, physical 911 address, mailing address, telephone number(s), e-mail address, business type, (farm/ranch, clinic, livestock auction, exhibition, etc.) and species.

What Does It Cost to Register a Premise?

There is no cost to Mississippi livestock producers to register a premises.

How Do I Register a Premises?


Click for MBAH Premises Identification Voluntary Entry Form

Once you hit submit on the form, it will automatically be sent to the MBAH.  They will review the form for completeness of information.  Once a premises identification number is issued, the livestock producer will be notified by email.

Do I need to register all premises or can I register just one?

  • If you have animals on multiple premises, and all or part of the animals are moved between the premises, you can register the premises under one PIN.
  • If animals are managed separately, you will need a PIN for each location.

How do I get more information?

The links below contain more information about Animal Disease Traceability and Premises Identification Numbers in the United States.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/traceability (USDA)