Entry Requirement for Animals during a Disaster
- Entry Requirements will be waived during a disaster for animals being evacuated from a disaster impacted area in another state.
- For pets, the shelter needs to document Rabies Vaccination Status. Animals without rabies vaccination should be kept away from the general shelter population.
- Bites from unvaccinated animals must be documented and reported to the health department and the animal held for a 10 day observation period.
- For horses, the shelter needs to document EIA/Coggins Test Status.
- Unless waived by the destination state, all animals will need to meet the state of destination entry requirements upon return to home state. Each state is different but usually involves a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and current rabies for dogs and cats and a current EIA Test for horses.